About Me

My photo
It's not "life's illusions", but "life's infusions" that I recall!

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Mortgage Apple Cake...and tea !



My Sweet Husband and I saw Angela Logan on Fox News talking about making apple cakes and selling them to make her mortgage payment.

http://www.bakemeawish.com/blog/?p=292

Very creative! Very entrepreneurial !!

We decided to participate. And we love apple cakes !
(My mother-in-law gave me a great recipe a very long time ago)

We ordered a cake.

I guess everyone else ordered one too, because it took quite awhile for our order to even process.

At last, one day on the porch.....the package .....






I'm crazy about "wrappings and bows and designs and all kinds of packaging"....Kimberly Nicole in Redding always makes your purchase special with her cute bags & tissue !)

First the lovely ice pack..(can an ice pack be lovely? I just think it's so sweet how the website name is on everything . Even the ice pack ! What a great idea !)



The cover covering the inside box....(the ice pack was on top of this)


















The top of the box........( we are starting to get somewhere now....)















The box itself.........(have to take time to admire the beautiful box)









A description of some of the other gourmet cakes offered by Bake Me A Wish......(this could be important if we want to order any other cakes ...)
















A sweet Thank You card....................(I appreciate a thank you now and then)
















And finally the delicious, moist Mortgage Apple Cake !

I had a cup of Rajah Darjeeling tea with my slice of cake..but any number of wonderful Assam or Nilgiri teas would have been perfect !




My mother-in-law's apple cake is not quite as dense as the Mortgage Apple Cake, but every bit as delicious...it is one of our family's favorite cakes ! This cake is divine with all kinds of tea !


Grandma Dolores' Beloved Apple Cake

4 cups diced apples
2 cups sugar ( white or brown...sometimes I use a combination)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs beaten
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional---can use 2 cups if desired or even a few raisins...)


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13" pan.

Mix apples and sugar together and set aside.

Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and spices then stir into apples.

Stir the oil, eggs and vanilla together, then blend into apple mixture.

Pour into pan and bake for about 45-50 minutes.

This cake is good without a frosting...but a cream cheese frosting is delightful on this cake !

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/4 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound of powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients until smooth and creamy.....spread on cake after it has cooled.


Happy Infusions !
Kate
http://tea4kate.com
http://oregonstreetteacompany.com
http://twitter.com/tea4kate








1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! How fun to get apple cake in the mail. I also love the packaging. I'll have to try Grandma Delores' recipe sometime. My grandma's name was Delores, and she made wonderful cake... so I'm sure it must be good. :-)

    ReplyDelete