About Me

My photo
It's not "life's illusions", but "life's infusions" that I recall!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Backyard Baby Chicks....

The baby chicks are now at the feed stores .....they are adorable !


When we lived on the ranch, we ordered chicks from the midwest. We bought some at the feed store too, but you could find more exotic chickens from a catalog.  Our local Post Office would call us to come pick up our box of  babies (chicks).


We kept them in the house by our heater for a few days with a heat lamp.  Our daughters adored this arrangement.  They would bound out of bed in the mornings and hold baby chicks before having to get ready to catch the school bus.


Depending on the outside temperatures, we eventually moved them to the nice little secure pen with a heat lamp in the chicken house. By the time they were hens, they were quite tame.



Our children have backyard chickens and our granddaughter loves to hold them.



She has two that she is especially fond of....this is Dora....Hayley__her_chicken






I've been contemplating, once again, about having a few Backyard Chickens....but then I also think about turning my front yard into a vegetable garden and my pool into a cement pond with catfish.  I'm not sure I was meant to be a neighborhood resident.                                 All those darn CC&R's !



Happy Infusions,
Kate
http://tea4kate.com

1 comment:

  1. We have 10 black chickens. No eggs yet :O(

    ReplyDelete