About Me

My photo
It's not "life's illusions", but "life's infusions" that I recall!

Friday, April 2, 2010

Bananas in Brown Sugar Sauce

Recalling the advice of my dear Homemaking teacher, Mrs. Whalen, I decided to try the recipe before making it for guests.



Fortunately, I even decided this two days in advance, and not the day before.  When I retrieved the brown sugar from my pantry, the jar was filled with rock hard lumps!





hard_lumps







I had heard putting a piece of bread in an airtight container with hard brown sugar would soften it overnight.

We only had whole wheat bread.  I carefully laid a piece on top and looked for recipes without brown sugar.



the_bread_trick



I didn't really believe it would work by the next day. Since I had "read" that this was a guaranteed method, I presumed it would eventually soften the brown sugar.



The next day, it was perfect...not one lump!



results-no_hard_lumps





I proceeded to make my....

bananas_in_brown_sugar_sauce



Bananas in Brown Sugar Sauce for Two



1   teaspoon         butter ( I used a little more)

1/2 teaspoon         canola/vegetable oil

2   tablespoons      brown sugar ( no lumps)

1   teaspoon         lime juice

2   tablespoons      dark rum (optional)

1/8 teaspoon         ground cinnamon

Sprinkle             nutmeg and ginger (optional)

2                    small bananas (quartered or sliced)

Scoops of..........Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt



Heat butter and oil, add brown sugar and heat until it bubbles. Add rum, if desired, lime juice and spices.  Cook slowly until it thickens slightly.  Add bananas and cook until heat until tender.




Divide for two and ladle over a scoop or two of ice cream or frozen yogurt.



This is lovely and tasty !  I have made it with the rum and without, delicious either way.  It is very rich and a little goes a long way!



I had a cup of Spiced Pear black tea with this.


Divine!



Happy Infusions,

Kate















No comments:

Post a Comment