About Me

My photo
It's not "life's illusions", but "life's infusions" that I recall!

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sorting the Cookbook Collection....

I love each one of them.  They have distinct personalities.  How could I sort and throw out any of them?



There they were stacked on my counter awaiting their fate.....


stack_of_cookbooks


My cookbook collection.  My recipes. Those wonderful creations that had saved my reputation more than once.



frugal


Love this one. It's full of fabulous uncomplicated, gourmet, delicious recipes, and is a storehouse of information. It was a keeper.



My mother ask me to take home a few of her cookbooks the last time I visited her.  Considering the current state of affairs, I thought this one might


be helpful....


dining_during_depression



Perusing through this collection from the Sunday Parade Magazine, I spotted several variations of the "Budget Casserole" and "Budget Stretcher"  I remember my mother using.  My favorite from this era, though, are the molded gelatin salads and the Baked Alaska dessert....



parade_cookbook



Oh dear... I hadn't found any to dispose of yet.





Memories flooded my mind when I reached for this one....



bishops_pumpkin_farm



I went with my children and now I'm going with my grandchildren on field trips to Bishop's Pumpkin Farm in Wheatland, California. (That means Bishop's has been in business over 25 years!)   This little book is full of memories and great recipes like the Applesauce Pumpkin Bread (moist and tasty)


and I love their Persimmon Cookie recipe.  I put it in the sentimental stack.



In my quest to raise healthy children, I collected these two fine cookbooks.  The Snacks has clever ideas for "presentation" of healthy foods and the CANDY


was invaluable for great traveling ideas...foods, games and "how to's".  Ok, these two belong in the sentimental pile.



healthy_snacks



candy_monster



I felt like hugging some of these cookbooks.  They're like old friends!  When we moved to our ranch in Surprise Valley, I loved using recipes submitted by so many people I knew and saw at least once a month!  Great food and sometimes a story or two  makes this one a little like a story book.....



surprise_valley_cooks



This darling notebook, given to me by my precious daughters, holds my accumulation of handwritten and typed recipes from


family and friends, and those I cut from magazines and newspapers.


recipe_notebook



And then there was the time My Sweet Husband and I attended a conference for small family farms and met a woman who was collecting recipes


and farm stories for her cookbook.  We agreed to contribute and were published in this cookbook....




ca_farm_cookbook



barker_ranch_inside_ca_farm_cookbook




Probably one of the funniest cookbooks I've ever seen was given to me by my sister-in-law...



.white_trash


It does have the best bread pudding recipe I've ever tried!  Sometimes it's fun just to read through the names of the recipes..."Uncle Willie's Swamp


Cabbage Stew",  "Clara Jane Vickar's Creamed Tuna Lunch", "Betty Sue's Sister-In-Law's Fried Eggplant". It does have a whole section of recipes I don't


think I will ever use...."Boiled Squirrel", "Butt's Gator Tail", and " Aunt Donnah's Roast Possum".  However, one should never say never!  I'm not ready to
part with this one yet.


This was my first cookbook.  I had to buy it for my high school Home Economics class. It's a basic, classical cookbook .  It is beloved.  Currently, the cover has been duct taped, and some of the index pages have come loose from the three ring binder, but for the most part, it is in great shape and still quite useful.



betty_crocker_cookbook



Well, I did manage to find six books to give away. I discovered I had never used a recipe from any of them and had no attachment to them.



Next there is the magazine recipe collection to sort through....the Bon Appetit, the Taste of Home, the Food Network.


Not right now though.  I'm ready for a cup of tea!



Happy Cooking, Happy Infusions,


Kate


http://tea4kate.com

5 comments:

  1. What a fun post. The era of those cookbooks is the same as many that mom has too. It was nostalgic for me too and i don't think she has any of those exact books.
    I'd give myself a pat on the back for finding half a dozen to pass on. That's pretty amazing :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I love this post. If love is the glue for families what would you say of food??
    We loved the Frugal Gourmet at my house growing up. We watched his show like most families watch Wild Kingdom, together and riveted.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bishop's, My mom has 2 of their editions, and we grew up going there, and now we take my kids and meet up w/my sisters and their kids. I think sometimes being a Mom is so fun, you get to do kid stuff and have an excuse.
    I need to sort my cookbooks, too, I have to sort between wheat free, dairy free, and all the other cookbooks I find/buy. It's crazy how many you can collect. I even re-ordeded one I grew up cooking with because it got lost in a move. So I guess, I'm saying I can't part w/mine either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection! Fun to look through. I just posted a link on my blog with vintage sewing patterns I am selling on etsy if you are interested. :O)

    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments!

    Autumn: You are always so kind! I would love to see your Mom's cookbook collection...she's a great cook. I'm sure you are too!

    Troy: I loved watching the Frugal Gourmet on TV too! Did your family also watch the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr? He was quite witty and he drank lots of wine!

    Rebecca: Isn't it fun to share with your kids the places that brought you joy as a child, like Bishop's ? Here's to cooking...and collecting great cookbooks!

    Diane: I love your collection of vintage sewing patterns..I know they can be "altered" by very talented artists!

    ReplyDelete